Windows Media Player 12 tricks
written by: admin
7/28/14 Last Updated:
- Full Size Album Art
1) Go to the registry path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences
set to 0
. You may need to create the DWORD 32 bit value.
set to 1 ref
Note: Making changes to Visualizations will revert the registry settings to the default settings.
Pro Tip: When you find the registry value you want to edit, go to Favorites in the menu and click Add to favorites. Now you can easily open the registry location in your favorites for fast editing.
- How can I restore the Advanced Tag Editor from Windows Media Player 11?
Option 1: TagScanner Not a modification to wmp 12, but it does allow you to easily add lyrics to mp3 files as well as a host of other options for editing your tags. direct link
A big plus is the ability to batch edit files. For example, you can add album art to many songs at once as opposed to one at a time with Windows Media Player Plus in option 2.
Option 2: plugin: Windows Media Player Plus brings back the ability to edit your mp3 tags much like Advanced Tag Editor from WMP 11. Website link
- Obtaining the toolbar that you remember from wmp 11 link. Unfortunately you need to turn it on and off manually each time. To turn it on (after the toolbar has been installed) first minimize the player and then right click on the toolbar and select "Window Media Player" in the list of toolbars to turn on.
- Shuffle will always play the same song first and then every song played after that will be randomized after that first song. A quick fix is to make the first song 1 second of silence long and name it 0 or 1. I also changed the album artist to 0_ampty. ref you can download it here:
- To keep the player from always being on top go to "now playing" and right click on the window and uncheck "Always show Now Playing on top"
- start the player in the Now Playing pane change the target in the shortcut to:
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /Task NowPlaying ref
- What is Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and how do I turn it off? It is a service that allows you to share and index music files across different user accounts or to other devices like a laptop or playstation or xbox. It may use a lot of resources.
Winkey --> type Services.msc Enter --> right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and select Stop. Right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again and for Start up type select Disabled.
- Where are the menus in the Now Playing pane? Great question! Windows Media Player is designed to be more visually compact, which is not very useful to power users. The best workaround is to use the Alt key when in the Now Playing pane. It will bring up most of the options you need and remember. For more take a look at and familiarize yourself with the keyboard shortcuts documented here.
- How and where can I see how many files are in my library? Click on one of the audio files and then ctrl+a. The number as well as the duration will be displayed at the bottom right of your player for about 5 seconds.
- Is there a keyboard shortcut to view the Now Playing list in the Now Playing pane? Sort of. Use Shift+F10 then L. Sometimes certain songs can cause the list to disappear again.
- How can I get my old Windows Media Player 11 icon back? To do this you will need to create a create a shortcut then in "properties" there is a button to change the icon. You will need to use one that is in the icon format. You can find a great many at the Icon Archive.
- Can I downgrade to Windows Media Player 11 on Windows 7? I have not tried it, but you can try visiting this link. Alt
- How to start the player maximized. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties --> Shortcut --> Run --> in the dropdown menu select Maximized.
Full Screen Lyrics
Option 1: lyrics plugin
It downloads lyrics from the internet and displays them full screen. It will not work without an internet connection. The lyrics are not stored in your media files.
registry edits. First make sure you close the player if it is open otherwise the changes won't take effect. To increase the size of the lyrics box go to start, in the run command type regedit and hit enter, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Tasks\NowPlaying
and change the value of Captions Height
from 100 (decimal) up to 500. Any higher than this and the captions box will revert back to the default value of 100 in decimal, which is approximately 6
lines of text. 500 is about half of the full screen windows media player window depending on your monitor's resolution settings and gives you 31
lines of immediately readable text.
In my monitor it looks like this:
a great source for lyrics.
(Work in Progress)
Full Screen - Alt + Enter
Select All - Ctrl + A
Play previous item - Ctrl + B
In Library, Put cursor in search bar - Ctrl + E
Play Next item - Ctrl + F
Toggle Shuffle - Crtl + H
Toggle CD/DVD Tray - Ctrl + J
In Library, Toggle menu bar - Ctrl + M
In Library, Create a New Playlist - Ctrl + N
Open - Ctrl + O
Toggle Play or Pause - Ctrl + P
In Library, Queue items highlighted - Ctrl + Q
Stop Playing - Ctrl + S
Toggle Repeat - Ctrl + T
Open URL - Ctrl + U
Close - Ctrl + W
Toggle Lyrics - Ctrl + Shift + C
View Library - Ctrl + 1
View Skin - Ctrl + 2
View Now Playing - Ctrl + 3
Right click on Now Playing screen menu list - Shift + F10
Switch to Library - F10
Windows Media Player 12 Menus & Views Explained
The list pane disappears when certain songs play after the player is first opened, however, after bringing the list pane back (Shift+F10
) the list does not disappear. Memo blog postTAGS: windows media player
, software tips
, wmp 12